by Glen Depke, Traditional Naturopath
Weight gain, obesity and the challenges that arise from this fundamental imbalance is a significant cultural challenge for many of us and is truly at an epidemic proportion. Look at some simple stats in regard to weight gain.
Obesity is common, serious and costly:
- More than 2 in 3 adults are considered to be overweight or obese
- More than 1 in 3 adults are considered to be obese
- More than 1 in 20 adults are considered to have extreme obesity
- About one-third of children and adolescents ages 6 to 19 are considered to be overweight or obese
- More than 1 in 6 children and adolescents ages 6 to 19 are considered to be obese
- Obesity-related conditions include heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and certain types of cancer, some of the leading causes of preventable death
- The estimated annual medical cost of obesity in the U.S. was $147 billion in 2008 U.S. dollars; the medical costs for people who are obese were $1,429 higher than those of normal weight. Obviously these figures are much higher today!
Overweight and obesity are risk factors for type 2 diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, and other health problems such as those listed below.
- Type 2 diabetes
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (excess fat and inflammation in the liver of people who drink little or no alcohol)
- Osteoarthritis (a health problem causing pain, swelling, and stiffness in one or more joints)
- Some types of cancer: breast, colon, endometrial (related to the uterine lining), and kidney
One of the most astounding facts for those that are overweight or obese is not the weight gain itself. It is tied into the other significant challenges this creates with inflammation, liver function, immune function and gut/brain function.
I’m sharing this information with you because I want you to understand that weight loss is not about calorie counting, starving yourself or exercising to the point of exhaustion.
Heck, if you have a weight issue you’ve likely been on many diets already, aggravated yourself with calorie counting, deprived yourself of food at times and even worked out with little or no success.
And perhaps you’ve even gained more weight through this process.
If this sounds familiar to you, I have the answer to your problem and this is available on a FREE WEBINAR I am presenting on Tuesday December 20th at 5:00pm Pacific time and 8:00pm Eastern time.
Please share this article and webinar information with your friends and loved ones in need.
If you have any comments or questions regarding this article please post this on our Facebook page or on our Twitter page for us to address personally.
Apply for Your Opportunity to “Feel Young Again” With Depke Wellness
“The products on this page have not been reviewed by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.”