by Glen Depke
The earthquake and tsunami are devastating events last week for the people of Japan and their friends and loved ones worldwide and our thoughts and prayers are with them all.
There is another potential devastating event that could be taking place sometime very soon based on the condition of many of the nuclear reactors in Japan. While it is difficult to get reliable information from the news and government agencies, it is suggested that 8 or 9 nuclear reactors is Japan are in dangerous territory. The chance that one of these reactors melts down may be higher than we are lead to believe. Since my wife and I live on the West coast, this is a concern of mine since the trade winds head right from Japan to the West coast of the United States.
So what are some of the toxic effects of radioactivity exposure?
On a cellular level excessive radioactivity causes damage to chromosomes and causes radiation sickness. This will also damage immune system function and increase the risk of many forms of cancer, due to radioactivity inducing mutations to cells that lead to cancer. This exposure also causes the production of hydroxyl free radicals with the body by “splitting” the body’s water content. Exposure to radioactivity on the skin can cause radiodermatitis and often causes radioepithelitis, which is a destruction of the epithelium especially of the skin.
So what proactive steps can we take based on this possibility?
I am going to focus on products and supplements that will provide the highest levels of protection for me and my family and I would recommend reviewing this list for your family.
· Glutathione is a key component of the antioxidant system which protects the body from free radicals at the cellular level. Reduced glutathione is involved in the synthesis and repair of DNA, and enhances the antioxidant activity of vitamin C, the transport of amino acids, and the detoxification of harmful compounds.
· Glutathione Recycler is a scientifically developed, first-of-its-kind formula supports the synthesis and recycling of glutathione, the primary antioxidant produced in our bodies. This formula provides key essential nutrients, cofactors, and substrates that are used to metabolize intracellular glutathione activity. It also supports the activation of glutathione peroxidase and superoxide dismutase enzymes, and positively supports the ratios of reduced and oxidized glutathione.
· Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda) – The oral administration of sodium bicarbonate diminishes the severity of the changes produced by uranium in the kidneys. The kidneys are usually the first organs to show chemical damage upon uranium exposure. It is my understanding that the United States Army recommends the use of bicarbonate to protect the kidneys from radiation damage. There is no better therapy for radiation sickness then intense sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and magnesium baths with the appropriate clay added in.
· Iodine is important to have in supply because this is the most obvious and important element in protecting against radiation damages. Radioactive iodine will plunge in to any and all iodine receptor cites that have no iodine in them due to iodine deficiencies. This is a serious problem because a high percentage of people in North America are iodine deficient. This leaves them susceptible to radioactive iodine, which is one of the principle forms of radiation given off in nuclear accidents. I would not recommend supplementing with more than 1000mcg of iodine per day and iodine could also be contraindicated with those on thyroid medications.
· Lipoic Acid reduces the toxic effects of exposure to radioactivity. It was recognized that persons exposed to Radioactivity after the Chernobyl incident (in Russia) who received Lipoic Acid supplements exhibit greatly lowered oxidative damage as a result of Radioactivity exposure.
· Vitamin C improves the ability of the body to resist the toxic effects of exposure to radioactivity. Guinea pigs that were supplemented with large dosages of Vitamin C combined with bioflavonoids were able to withstand twice the known lethal dosages of radioactivity. Vitamin C (10 grams per day) decreases the bleeding and cell degeneration that occurs as a result of exposure to plutonium radioactivity.
· Food and supplemental sources of chlorella and spirulina reduce the quantity of radioactive isotopes absorbed into the body and thereby helps to counteract the toxic effects of exposure to radioactivity.
· Lastly you could use a Young Living diffuser, coupled with the following oils, in the rooms of your home over the coming days and weeks. Diffuse a combination of Melrose, Sacred Frankincense, and Purification essential oils. Combine the oils in pairs when diffusing (for example, Melrose with Sacred Frankincense or Sacred Frankincense with Purification). Melrose is a particularly powerful blend because it contains two melaleuca oils that may protect cells from radiation damage. Another sensible precaution is to wear an inexpensive dust mask saturated with the above oils while you are outside or traveling.
Let’s hope and pray that we do not have another devastating event to add to the stress to our world, but if we do, you can be prepared.
If you would like further information on the supplements mentioned in this article, feel free to call my office at 949.515.3538 or email me at Glen@DepkeWellness.com.
If you have any comments or questions, please post these below for me to answer personally.