by Glen Depke
A lack of mental clarity is a significant complaint of many of the new clients entering my practice. Most people have a misconception that mental clarity drops consistently with age and is gone for good.
First off, this is not true! Due to this misconception many individuals do very little or nothing to regain their mental function.
Sad but true…
Secondly, even if you have lost some of your mental clarity, there is a very good chance you can regain this.
Personally, this is a very important subject for me. My Mother is currently challenged with dementia and my Grandmother also had severe dementia later in her life. I do not mess around with brain health and it is my own personal life’s goal to maintain optimal brain function. Thankfully I get to pass my research on to you.
Let’s first look at the common health challenges that create the loss of mental clarity.
- Poor gut health
- Poor diet
- Gluten intolerance or cross reactive food intolerance
- Lack of the DHA component of omega 3 fatty acids
- Adrenal insufficiency
- Poor circulation
- Past head trauma
- Lack of mental capacity use
- Lack of exercise
- Metal or other chemical toxicity
What can you do to slow down the loss of mental clarity or even reverse this?
- Improve your gut health with the use of probiotics and digestive enzymes
- Avoid sugar, alcohol and refined foods
- Avoid gluten and other cross reactive foods
- Use a liquid DHA supplement daily
- Use vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid) to support your adrenal function and if you have current health challenges have your adrenals tested and addressed properly
- Address brain inflammation due to past head trauma with your qualified natural health practitioner
- Use your brain by learning something new and challenging your memory. Learn a new language, musical instrument, you get the picture. Also does anyone remember the card game called “memory” when we were kids? You should still be playing it now.
- Move your body. You know that old saying, “if you don’t move it, you will lose it?” Well this is not only your physical body but also your physical body in respect to your brain.
- Use proper supplementation to assist with increasing peripheral circulation. In my clinic I choose between a homeopathic, encapsulated supplement and a liquid supplement. *
What happens if you do not address your lack of mental clarity?
- Futher deterioration of mental clarity
- Longer term neurological related challenges such as dementia or Alzheimer’s
- Gastrointestinal degeneration
- Poor motor skills
- Chronic fatigue
- Brain fog
- Poor focus and concentration skills
- Lack of motivation
- Feelings of worthlessness
- Short tempered
- Poor chemical tolerance
- Chronic illness
- Inability to tolerate light, colors and noises
So obviously the key is to be proactive with your brain health. If you wait until you have significant brain symptoms, you have waited too long. Be sure to address the underlying factors affecting your brain health, make the necessary nutritional changes, use the supplements needed to enjoy long term brain health and stimulate/challenge your brain on a consistent basis.
While others may believe that your brain will consistently lose function through your life, I truly believe that your brain has the ability to maintain a high level of function until very close to the end of life. It is just up to use to give it what it needs and live a life that actually support proper brain function.
Coming up in January 2013 we are beginning a 6 week program that addresses many of the underlying factors that create poor brain health. On December 4, 2012 we are offering a complimentary webinar as an intoduction to this program that you will not want to miss. Click here for more information or registration.
*Some of the supplements for improving blood flow to the brain cannot be sold over the internet and you would have to contact our office directly at 949.954.6226.