by Glen Depke, Traditional Naturopath
If you have been following me for some time, you likely read my article in September sharing that I tested positive for SIBO which stands for small intestinal bacteria overgrowth. If you did not read “Holy Crap (Pun Intended)…I Have SIBO” catch this here.
Two months have now gone by and I have been following the appropriate SIBO diet, so I do not irritate this condition and I have been following the necessary supplement protocol to assist my body in overcoming this bacterial imbalance.
I started the protocol and diet on October 1st weighing in at 208.2 pounds and am now happy to share that as off Monday November 28th, my weight has dropped to 189.4.
That is almost 19 pounds! In two months…
Heck, I have not weighed this little since my late 20’s.
The weight loss is not the only benefit though. I have also seen these other positive impacts below.
- My mental clarity has significantly improved
- I am requiring less sleep
- I have more energy
- I almost never have gas anymore (from either end)
- My immune system seems to have improved
- I can fit into my skinny jeans (yes, guys have skinny jeans too)
This is all great news because I have had this on again, off again issue with my gut for some time and I feel that this is finally coming to an end.
And this can be the case for you too…
This has been a long road and this may look familiar to you too. Over the years I have…
- Established and eliminated my primary food sensitivities
- I have been on pathogen protocols to help eliminate parasites, bad bacteria, etc.
- I have followed anti-inflammatory diets
- I have balanced my adrenals (important for the gut too)
- I have worked on my brain function (gut/brain connection)
- I have been on anti-inflammatory protocols
- And the list goes on…
Now all of these processes and choices have played a huge role in getting me to where I am, yet there was that “little something” missing.
Well, that little something was SIBO!
Now I get to enjoy the full compliment of all the work I have done in the past while reaping the benefits once and for all.
Now you my be wondering if you have SIBO or Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth yourself?
I have provided a no cost SIBO assessment for you here.
Please note the appropriate number on all questions below. (0 as the least/never to 3 as the most/always)
Abdominal distention (bloating) after consumption of fiber, starches, and sugar
0 1 2 3
Abdominal distention (bloating) after certain probiotic or natural supplements
0 1 2 3
Lowered gastrointestinal motility, constipation
0 1 2 3
Raised gastrointestinal motility, diarrhea
0 1 2 3
Alternating constipation and diarrhea
0 1 2 3
Suspicion of nutritional malabsorption
0 1 2 3
Frequent use of antacid medication
0 1 2 3
Have you been diagnosed with Celiac Disease, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Diverticulosis/ Diverticulitis, or Leaky Gut Syndrome? Yes No
If many of your responses are 2/3, SIBO is a likely challenge for you and testing would be recommended.
One way to test this further without doing a lab test is to ingest plantain flour. Plantain flour is an irritant to SIBO and cold give you a bit deeper insight for you.
Plantain Flour Test
- Use one heaping teaspoon (included) in eight ounces of water on an empty stomach
- Pay attention to any symptoms of bloating or any other gastrointestinal distress
- This will typically occur within 20-30 minutes after use but can create symptoms almost immediately
- If symptoms occur SIBO is a definite potential for you and testing would be recommended
- Call our office at (949)954-6226 for testing or you can visit www.DepkeWellness.com and follow the SHOP button in the upper right and click on Recommended Testing in the left side bar
- Feel free to email Lynda at Support@DepkeWellness.com with any questions
If SIBO is likely you can complete a SIBO Breath Test to confirm this health challenge for yourself. This is the same test I used for myself and used with clients in my office. If SIBO is an issue, a commitment to the SIBO diet and supplement protocol would be necessary, but as you can see by my results, it is well worth it!
“The products on this page have not been reviewed by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.”